Location, Location, Location!
Newton, MA is a commuter’s dream. This desirable location is just 8 miles west of Boston with easy access to east-west and north-south highway infrastructure with Routes 90 and 95 running through the city. Newton is served by the MBTA’s surface level street car route with accessible parking to hop on the Green Line and be in the heart of Boston in minutes.
Divided into 13 “villages,” Newton is loaded with classic New England charm. Most villages have pedestrian-friendly shopping districts, parks, playgrounds, and restaurants.
There is so much to say about this thriving community, but let’s start with some important figures that you can use to help in your search for a new home.
Newton by the Numbers
Before we tour Newton’s gorgeous neighborhoods, let´s start off with some quick facts to get acquainted with the town:
- Population: 89,045
- Square Miles: 18.3
- Distance from Boston: 8 miles
- 2020 Average Single Family Home Price: $1,520,552
- 2020 Average Condominium Price: $927,549
- 2020 Property Tax Rate per $1,000 of assessed value: $10.44
- Average SAT Score: 1,243
Things to See and Do
From fabulous shopping and dining to beautiful college campuses, Newton is the perfect place for those who love an urban vibe in a suburban setting. Home to Boston College, Mount Ida College, Lasell College, and the Boston Marathon’s famous Heartbreak Hill, Newton is a very vibrant yet quaint community. A few of my favorite things to do in this beautiful community are:
Stroll the Chestnut Hill Reservoir
Catch a movie at the brand new SuperLux Movie Theater, which offers food and drinks from the always delicious Davio’s Cucina.
Take in a classic Boston College versus Notre Dame football game at Boston College’s Alumni Stadium.
Shop at the fabulous Mall at Chestnut Hill, which includes Bloomingdale’s, Brooks Brother’s, Apple, Crate and Barrel, and many other upscale stores.
Dine at some of finest restaurants in Greater Boston which include:
- Aquitaine – 11 Boylston Street
- Bernard’s – 55 Boylston Street
- Biltmore Bar & Grille – 1205 Chestnut Street
- Buff’s Pub – 317 Washington Street
- Cook – 825 Washington Street
- Davio’s Cucina – 55 Boylston Street
- District 118 Kitchen & Bar – 118 Needham Street
- Dunn-Gaherin Food & Spirits – 344 Elliot Street
- House of Tandoor – 81 Union Street
- Sycamore – 755 Beacon Street
- Tartufo – 22 Union Street
- The Local – 1391 Washington Street Nearby Wellesley Restaurants:
- Yama – 245 Washington Street
- Alta Strada – 92 Central Street
- CK Shangai – 15 Washington Street
- Café Mangal – 555 Washington Street
- Maugus – 300 Washington Street
Comprised of 15 elementary, 4 middle, and 3 high schools, Newton public schools are consistently ranked among the top performing in the state. Both Newton North and Newton South High Schools are always considered among the state’s top performing high schools. Newton North is a state of the art, $197 million brand new high school. The average SAT score for Newton’s public high schools was 1,271 in 2018, one of the highest average scores in the state. Additionally, Newton is home to many prestigious private schools set on beautiful campuses. View the Newton’s Public School website for more information. For Covid-19 updates, click here.
Newton Public Schools
15 Elementary Schools:
- Horace Mann
- Lincoln Eliot
- Mason Rice
- Memorial Spaulding
4 Middle Schools:
3 High Schools:
Newton Private Schools
- Beaver Country Day School – 6-12
- Brimmer and May School – PK-12
- Clearway School – Special Education, 6-12
- Fessenden School – PK-9
- Jackson Walnut Park – K-6
- Mt. Alvernia Academy and High School – PK-12
- Newton Country Day School – 5-12
- Solomon Schechter Day School – K-8
- The Chestnut Hill School – PK-6
- Wellan Montessori School – PK-6
I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing me as your real estate professional.
If you have more questions about Newton, or about any of the surrounding towns, please call anytime. I look forward to hearing from you!
Elizabeth Crampton, Premier Agent, CRS
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage